How to Talk so the Other Can Understand

Struggling with a problem regarding being able to express something clearly with someone close to me (a 1 1/2 year struggle) I just took a book off the shelf, opened up and started reading:
Men are From Mars - Women are from Venus, Chapter 5 - Speaking Different Languages. Heaven sent in that it really helped me see (again) that there are different communication systems going on here and that trying to insist that we all understand and mean the same things is not going to work. So I read parts of Chapter 5 out loud to my mom and we got a little further in our understanding. For example:


  1. The number one complaint women have in relationships is "I don't feel heard". Even this complaint is misunderstood by men. - basically read this chapter and learn how to respond to a woman. 
  2. The biggest challenge for a women is to correctly interpret and support a man when he isn't talking. - basically - let him be alone for awhile and enjoy your own life. He'll come out of his "cave" when he's ready.  

I'll need to read more and think and apply a bit.
  1.